NEooWS is a social network RSS Reader that looks like a start page.
Browse feeds or submit feeds, then read them as a box or list view, you can also vote, save and tag stories, which can be accessed like tabs in a start page.
Since it is a social place (community) you can browse for feeds, browse/search stories and save them, or even find stories via a tag cloud, and even subscribe to a tag, so far this is the same as Rojo.
NOTE: if you subscribe to a tag, this subscription will live in your “My Tags” page, keeping separate from your “My Feeds” page, so I guess these tags don’t have an RSS feed for non-NEooWS readers to add to other RSS Readers…I don’t think Rojo have the ease to subscribe to tags, but I do remember each community tag has an RSS feed.
I guess NEooWS really promotes the social aspect with its layout and easy features, whereas with Rojo your more on your own to find this out.
You can add friends like Rojo contacts, but unlike Rojo you get to see a minimal user page, that is you just get to see their recommended stories, you can’t see their tagged stories or subscriptions…but it does feel they are pushing this from a community to a social network.
It is one thing to share content to form a public aggregate stream, but it is another thing to view a users world…Spokeo even lets you can add a user as a subscription.
- List view or box view
- Flagging a story is missing
- Communal feed directory (users of the system can add to this, but unlike Rojo you can’t tag your own feeds, or even discover feeds by tag)
- Communal story discovery (stories come from all users subscriptions)
- Recommended stories (find stories as recommended by the users of the system)
- Communal tags (find and subscribe to a tag stream of stories populated by the users as they tag their stories)
- My Network (add another user as a friend and see their recommended stories)
So far, they have got the communal part right, they need to just build into the social network part; “My Network” has to be more social:
- view a users subscribed feeds
- view a users subscribed tags (and subscribe to a user tag/s)
- view a users saved stories…this lacks tags (and subscribe to a user tag/s of their saved stories)
Tagging a story seems to be purely unselfish, as it does nothing for you personally, whereas saving a story adds it to your personal collection. At the moment this doesn’t feel right, I think tagging a story could save it for you as well (blend these two functions into one).
- view a users recommended stories
- view a users network
- subscribe to a user
- message a user
I dont know why an RSS Reader in a community verging on a network environment took so long, I really think it is a great idea.