myFeedz has a similar idea to Diggol…whack in an OPML or a set of feeds and read the content not by feed like in a traditional RSS Reader, but by tag.
If you don’t submit feeds or an OPML then you can just select a feed set from the house database, by selecting a tag.
NOTE: you can still read content by feed source, but like Diggol you have to click on the feed source link next to each item…there is no feed subscription pane like a traditional RSS Reader
As it explains it is not only the feed content that tags are derived from, it also watches your reading habits…so this has a personalisation feature making it very similar to Diggol.
You can read articles just in your feeds or the whole of MyFeedz, you can view by date or relevancy (based on the usual attention filters)…including rating articles, and marking articles not related.
There is also a related articles section which kind of puts it in the personal memedigger league.
Also to note is the automatic tags are only suggestions, you have to add them to your space…you have choice. You can also ignore tags so they are not even suggested.
Check out the FAQ.
The tour explains it perfectly, and it also illustrates just how simple and smooth myFeedz is.
Enter an OPML, enter some tags or go with some suggested tags, and you are off…read the latest news by tag (by date or relevancy)…with attention filters to boot.
Your home page lists the 3 top articles from each of your tags, but this is not limited to your OPML.
Reading by tag - click on a tag, then click my feeds
- RSS feed for each tag
- tags related (from the myFeedz community) to the current tag
- the same content in the body is displayed in the sidebar (if the body is sorted by relevancy, then the sidebar is sorted by date, and vice versa)
- lists the top tags
- mark article as off topic
- rate article
- feed details (as mentioned see all posts by one source feed…also quick add feed to your space).
- related articles (memedigger feature)
- article details (read full-text in house)
- tag the article on the article details section (this does not save articles)
I’d like to create tag clusters…at the moment I have the tags: bookmark, bookmarks, bookmarking…I guess this could be acheived without clustering, but with stemming (neither are available).
So I could just follow the tag bookmark* and be done with it…at the moment if I want to follow this in my RSS Reader I’d have to get all three tags (bookmark, bookmarks, bookmarking) and splice them into one feed.
But what about with tags like: RSS reader, RSS readers, feed reader, feed readers, RSS aggregator, RSS aggregators, feed aggregator, feed aggregators, news reader, news aggregator…I’d like to cluster these into one stream.
MySyndicaat does clustering, but it’s clustering of a different type of tag…like SuprGlu it re-syndicates the category/tag(s) of the blog post that the blog owner labelled the post with…the clustering part that MySyndicaat allows for example, is when a post appears with the tag “feed” you can pre-set it so it changes this tag to “rss” instead (a function like this is commonly used as a synonym ring, but you can cluster whatever you like for whatever reason you see fit).
I’d also like to add tags…
eg. show me posts with the tags library OR km
eg. show me posts with the tags library AND km
All in all this is very similar to Diggol…the only things missing for me are that it is not really a replacement for my personal RSS Reader as you can’t (mark read/unread), and you can’t list feeds in a subscription pane (well the whole point of MyFeedz is to read by tag).
Maybe RSS Readers like Rojo could take note of the wonderful things Diggol and MyFeedz are producing…Rojo allows you to read content by feed or by folder/tag (river of news), and you can even sort this by relevancy (based on reading behaviour, community behaviour, explicit voting, etc…).
Diggol and MyFeedz are providing two main unique features:
- memetracking (finding related stories), and also for each item they also offer tags that may contain useful stories
- view content by machine processed tags
The last features I’m looking for are:
- view content by author tags
- make sure the memetracking links together the related stories from your OPML (what read or unread stories in my OPML are very similar to this current story)
- threading outgoing links (when you are reading a story, read or unread stories in my OPML that have common hyperlinks in the body of the post are threaded…or like Rojo once had just have a popular section for these hyperlinks, also see Chuquet)
NOTE: I’d also like sphere to show related posts just from my blog, ie. for each of my blog posts, it can list similar past posts from my blog.
RSS Reading different views